Peas Pulao, also known as Matar Pulao, is a classic Indian rice dish that combines the natural sweetness of green peas with fragrant spices.Print
- Prep Time: 5minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Basmati rice
- Fresh or frozen green peas
- Ghee or oil
- Cumin seeds
- Aromatic spices (such as cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves)
- Ginger and garlic
- Green chilies (for a hint of heat, optional)
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Wash and Soak Rice: Begin by washing and soaking the Basmati rice for about 30 minutes. This helps the rice grains cook evenly and stay fluffy.
- Sauté Aromatic Spices: In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat ghee or oil. Add cumin seeds and your choice of aromatic spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves. Let them sizzle until fragrant.
- Sauté Onions: Add finely chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent and slightly golden.
- Add Ginger, Garlic, and Green Chilies: Stir in minced ginger and garlic, and green chilies for a touch of heat. Sauté until the raw smell disappears.
- Add Peas: Gently fold in the green peas, allowing them to cook for a few minutes until they become tender.
- Drain and Add Rice: Drain the soaked rice and add it to the pot. Sauté the rice along with the other ingredients for a couple of minutes.
- Add Water and Salt: Pour in the appropriate amount of water and add salt to taste. Mix well.
- Cook the Pulao: Cover the pot and let the Peas Pulao simmer on low heat until the rice is cooked and all the water is absorbed. This usually takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish and Serve: Once the rice is cooked, fluff it up with a fork, garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, and serve hot.