Embark on a delightful journey through the diverse flavors of Indian food with our Chickpea Pulao, a nutrient-rich one-pot wonder that beautifully encapsulates the essence of Indian food.
- Basmati rice
- Chickpeas (canned or cooked)
- Cooking oil or ghee
- Cumin seeds
- Aromatic spices (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves)
- Ginger and garlic
- Green chilies
- Turmeric powder
- Ground coriander
- Red chili powder (optional)
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Rinse and Soak Rice: Begin by rinsing and soaking the Basmati rice in water for about 30 minutes. This helps the rice grains cook evenly and stay fluffy.
- Sauté Spices: In a large pot, heat oil or ghee. Add cumin seeds and your choice of aromatic spices, such as cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves. Sauté until they release their fragrance.
- Sauté Onions: Add finely chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent and slightly golden.
- Add Aromatics: Stir in minced ginger, garlic, and green chilies. Sauté until the raw smell disappears.
- Incorporate Chickpeas: Add the cooked or canned chickpeas to the pot and mix well.
- Sauté Tomatoes: Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn soft and the oil begins to separate.
- Season with Spices: Sprinkle turmeric, ground coriander, and red chili powder (if desired) into the pot. Mix well.
- Drain and Add Rice: Drain the soaked rice and add it to the pot, sautéing it along with the other ingredients for a couple of minutes.
- Add Water and Salt: Pour in the appropriate amount of water, add salt to taste, and mix well.
- Cook the Pulao: Cover the pot and let the Chana Pulao simmer on low heat until the rice is cooked, and all the water is absorbed. This usually takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish and Serve: Once the rice is cooked, fluff it up with a fork, garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, and serve hot.