Instant pot rice pudding(using dates)
- Prep Time: 2minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 4 cups milk (whole milk or any milk of your choice)
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar (adjust to your sweetness preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) or butter (optional, for added richness)
- Chopped nuts (such as almonds, pistachios) for garnish (optional)
Step 1 Rinse the basmati rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain the rice and set it aside.
Step 2 In the Instant Pot, add the milk, chopped dates, sugar, ground cardamom, ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Stir everything well.
Step 3 Turn on the Instant Pot and select the ‘Saute’ function. Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, until it comes to a gentle boil.
Step 4 Once the mixture starts boiling, add the rinsed basmati rice and mix it in. Cancel the ‘Saute’ function.
Step 5 Close the Instant Pot lid and set the vent to the ‘Sealing’ position. Cook the rice pudding on ‘High Pressure’ for 8 minutes.
Step 6 After the cooking cycle is complete, allow for natural pressure release (NPR) for 10 minutes. Then, manually release any remaining pressure.
Step 7 Carefully open the lid, and stir the rice pudding. It will thicken as it cools.
Step 8 Stir in the vanilla extract and ghee or butter (if using) for added richness.
Step 9 Serve the Instant Pot Rice Pudding with Dates warm or chilled, garnished with chopped nuts if desired.
Step 10 Enjoy this delightful and comforting dessert with the natural sweetness of dates and the creamy texture of rice pudding, made effortlessly in the Instant Pot.