Welcome to the flavorful world of South Indian cuisine, where we explore the delightful creation known as South Indian Peanut Rice. This dish, also known as Verkadalai Sadam, is a celebration of nuttiness and spices, offering a delicious and satisfying meal option.Print
- Prep Time: 5minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Cooked rice (preferably cold, leftover rice)
- Mustard seeds
- Urad dal (black gram dal)
- Chana dal (split chickpeas)
- Curry leaves
- Red and green chilies
- Turmeric powder
- Asafoetida (hing)
- Fresh coriander leaves (optional)
- Roast Peanuts: Begin by dry-roasting the peanuts in a pan until they turn golden and aromatic. Set them aside.
- Tempering: In the same pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. When they start to splutter, add urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, and chopped red and green chilies. Sauté until the dals turn golden.
- Add Turmeric and Asafoetida: Sprinkle turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida (hing) into the pan, and mix well.
- Mix in Peanuts: Stir in the roasted peanuts and let them combine with the tempered spices.
- Combine with Rice: Add the cooked rice to the pan and gently mix it with the peanut and spice mixture. Ensure that the rice is evenly coated with the flavorful blend.
- Season and Garnish: Season the Peanut Rice with salt to taste and garnish with fresh coriander leaves for an extra burst of flavor.
- Serve and Enjoy: Serve the Peanut Rice hot or at room temperature. It’s a delicious standalone dish or pairs perfectly with yogurt, raita, or a side salad.