“Assamese Culinary Treasures”
- Prep Time: 30minutes
- Cook Time: 15minutes
- Total Time: 45minutes
For the Fish Marination:
- 250 grams of freshwater fish (like Rohu or Catla), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon Assamese masala (a blend of spices commonly used in Assamese cuisine)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
For the Fried Rice:
- 2 cups Basmati rice, cooked and cooled
- 2–3 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2–3 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
Step 1: Marinating the Fish
- In a mixing bowl, combine the fish pieces with Assamese masala, turmeric powder, and mustard oil.
- Gently coat the fish with the marinade, ensuring each piece is well-covered.
- Allow the fish to marinate for about 15-20 minutes, letting it absorb the flavors.
Step 2: Sautéing Aromatics
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of mustard oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add finely chopped onions and slit green chilies to the hot oil.
- Sauté until the onions become translucent and emit a fragrant aroma, typically for about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger-garlic paste and continue to sauté for another 1-2 minutes until the raw smell disappears.
Step 3: Cooking the Marinated Fish
- Carefully add the marinated fish pieces to the pan.
- Cook the fish, gently turning them occasionally, until they acquire a beautiful golden color and are fully cooked. This might take approximately 5-7 minutes.
Step 4: Combining with Cooked Rice
- Add the cooked and cooled Basmati rice to the pan with the cooked fish and aromatics.
- Gently fold everything together, making sure the fish, rice, and spices blend harmoniously.
- Season the mixture with salt to taste, and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to heat the rice thoroughly.
Step 5: Garnish and Serve
- Once everything is well combined and heated through, remove the pan from heat.
- Garnish your Assamese Fish Fried Rice with fresh cilantro leaves for added flavor and color.
- Serve hot as a delightful and flavorful meal, embodying the essence of Assamese cuisine.
- Enjoy your homemade Assamese Fish Fried Rice, a culinary treasure from Northeast India, rich in local flavors and cultural heritage.